All online services are available without restrictions. We recommend that all members and students of the university primarily use our wide range of e-books, e-journals and databases.
In the departmental library, you will find specialist literature on physics, astronomy, computer science and media communication. The entire departmental library collection can be searched via the catalogue.
The shelf marks of these items start with "750/". There are separately listed special collections entitled "Didactics of physics" (751) and "IT reference collection" ( 710, located in the departments).
Against the background of the spread of the coronavirus, the University Library of Würzburg has implemented the specification of the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and Art. This measure is intended to protect users and staff and to slow down the spread of the coronavirus. We ask for your understanding for these measures in view of the current exceptional situation.
Restricted opening of the departmental library from 23.03.2021
For the supply of literature the library will be open again from 23.03.2021 with restrictions for borrowing Mo - Fr 10:00 - 14:00.
The following special conditions of use apply:
- Admission is limited to a maximum number of persons and is regulated by our staff.
- Wearing an FFP2 mask is mandatory in the library. In addition, mouth-to-nose covering must be worn on all university premises (buildings, traffic routes and open areas).
- Excluded from entering the library are persons who show symptoms that indicate COVID-19 disease, such as cough, sniffles, sore throat, fever (≥ 38.0°C), loss of smell and taste.
- Please observe markings and keep a distance of 2 m from other persons.
- Please make your list of required book signatures before your visit. Please take the books yourself from the shelves of the departmental library.
- Jackets and bags are not allowed in the library. Please use the locker system in front of the library.
- It is not permitted to use the learning workstations and computer workstations.
- The multifunctional copier may be used.
- The time spent in the departmental library for borrowing and copying, printing or scanning is limited to a maximum of 30 minutes.
Priority remains health protection! Please help us with consideration and flexibility so that we can offer this lending service again!
Lending for students and external library users from the city and region:
maximum 5 books, loan period 14 days
Lending of lecturers
- for lecturers of the institutes involved in the Departmental Library: loan period 6 months
- for lecturers of other institutes: loan period 4 weeks
A valid library card of the University Library or a student card of the current semester is required for borrowing.
Return of borrowed books
Borrowed books can be returned Mo - Fr 10:00 - 14:00 in the departmental library or around the clock via the return box of the Main Library at the Hubland (to the right of the entrance towards the Mensa).
Study and computer workstations
The study and computer workstations in the departmental library cannot be used until further notice.
Copying, printing, scanning
The multifunctional copier (for copying, printing or scanning) may be used. You will need a USB stick to save scans and print them out. A disinfection dispenser is available on site to disinfect your hands before and after use.
The departmental library is a reference library, which means that items can usually only be used on site.
More information on further lending conditions can be found in the Guidelines on the use of departmental libraries (PDF, 124 KB). You will find a large collection of study-relevant literature available for loan in the Hubland Main Library.
The departmental library has 109 learning workstations as well as six computer workstations with Internet access.
Group study rooms
The library offers two group study rooms for student working groups.
Access to specialist databases for physics, astronomy, computer science and media communication, Internet access, Wi-Fi, multifunctional copier,
Jackets, coats and bags may not be taken into the library, but can be stored in lockers outside the entrance area. Please bring your own padlock (shackle thickness ideally 6–7 mm) and remember to empty your locker in the evening. A limited number of permanent lockers are available to students.
Information can be found on the webpage of KIS (Kontakt- und Informationsstelle für Studierende mit Behinderung und chronischer Erkrankung).
Get in touch with us at any time, in writing, by telephone, by e-mail or via our contact form.