The main entrance (south entrance) to the Main Library is wheelchair accessible.
The Main Library has an elevator leading to the individual reading rooms. There is an accessible toilet on the ground floor. The spaces between the shelves in the reading rooms may not be wide enough for wheelchairs.
Please contact us if you need help. We will be happy to assist you.
If you are using the Main Library a lot, you can request a transponder to use the elevator between the underground car park and the library during opening hours. Without a transponder, the elevator can only be used inside the library (ground floor to 3rd floor).
Transponder application form (PDF, 116 KB)
Information sheet: using the elevator with a transponder (PDF, 44 KB, in German only)
Permanent lockers are available for people who use the Main Library a lot; these lockers can be used for a limited period.
Please contact the lending desk for more information (Phone +49 931 31-85929, Mon - Thurs 8:30-16:00, Fri 8:30-12:30, firstname.lastname@example.org).
In main reading room 2 in the Main Library (PDF, 307 KB), individual workroom 222 is equipped with a PC workstation for the blind and visually impaired.
- Windows 7 / 64 Bit
- Window eyes screen reader programme with high-quality speech output
- ZoomText 10 screen magnification and reader
- ABBYY Finereader 11 text recognition software (OCR)
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- HandyTech Braille Star 80 Braille display
- Flatbed scanner
The key for workroom 222 can be obtained from the loan desk on the ground floor. The key will be issued to your library account and must be returned the same day, 15 minutes before the library closes at the latest. A fee will be charged for keys that are not returned.
The following special lending conditions apply to students with disabilities and chronic illness where medically justified:
- The basic loan period for items available for loan from the Main Library and the textbook collections for law and medicine is extended from 30 to 60 days. If no one else has reserved an item, the loan period can be extended by another 30 days up to four times.'
- The loan period can also be extended by calling the Main Library’s lending desk (Phone +49 931 31-85929, Mon - Thurs 8:30-16:00, Fri 8:30-12:30 ).
- For DVDs and videos (shelf mark beginning with "17/"), the basic loan period is extended from three to six days; further extensions are not possible.
- In exceptional cases, special arrangements can be made with the lending desk for short loans of reference collections from the Main Library.
- When borrowing items from the departmental libraries, the conditions for "special loans" apply in accordance with the guidelines on the use of departmental libraries (PDF, 124 KB), the loan period is usually 14 days.
- The library staff will offer assistance if needed, e.g. with removing books from shelves or if you call to find out whether literature is available.
- You are responsible for observing the loan periods. If you do not return the items you have borrowed within the loan period, we will send you a return request that will incur a fee. Concessions are not possible.
With these special lending conditions, the University Library aims to create equal opportunities for students with disabilities and chronic illnesses. In exceptional cases, however, these lending conditions may also be granted to persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who are not enrolled at the University of Würzburg.
Please send your request for special lending conditions to the head of the User Services management team (Frank Blümig, Tel. +49 931 31-85946, email@example.com. Postal adress: Universitätsbibliothek, Abt. Benutzungsdienste, Am Hubland, 97074 Würzburg).
Application form (PDF, 111 KB)
Leaflet on special lending conditions (PDF, 38 KB)