Library use is subject to the General Regulations on the Use of Bavarian State Libraries (Allgemeine Benützungsordnung der Bayerischen Staatlichen Bibliotheken – ABOB) dated 18 August 1993 (BayRS2240-3-K).
Section 7(1): "Users must behave in such a way that no other person’s justified claims are affected and so as not to disturb library operation; it must also be ensured that works, catalogues, equipment, devices, etc. are not damaged. Users are obliged to follow library instructions"’
Library code of conduct
- Coats, anoraks, bags, backpacks and laptop bags are not allowed in the reading room area. Please use a locker to store your belongings.
- If you wish to take your laptop or work materials into the reading room area, please ask for a transparent plastic bag from the Main Library lending desk or the information desk in the departmental library.
- If you take your own work materials into the reading room area, please show these voluntarily to the staff at the Main Library lending desk or the departmental library information desk when leaving the reading room area.
- To ensure a peaceful working environment, please be as quiet as possible in the reading rooms. You may only use your mobile phone if it is set to silent. Phone calls are not permitted in the reading rooms.
- Users working at study desks in the reading rooms on the first and second floor of the Main Library may leave their study desk for a maximum of 1 hour – please set the time on your break sign. If there is no break sign on a study desk or the maximum break duration is exceeded, other library users may take the desk.
- Food is not permitted in the reading rooms or at the computer workstations in the Main Library and departmental libraries. You are welcome to bring non-alcoholic beverages in leak-proof, sealable containers as long as you do not pour them into open containers (e.g. cups).
- To protect the valuable items in the special collections reading room on the 3rd floor of the Main Library, food and drink are not permitted.
- The Main Library is a non-smoking area.
- Animals are not permitted in the library. Guide dogs for the blind are, of course, permitted.
- Thefts and book damage will be reported to the police.
The library staff have been instructed to ensure that these rules are observed. In everybody’s interest, we ask for your understanding regarding these measures.