The possibilities of use of the Bavarian university libraries are based on the currently valid Bavarian Infection Protection Measures Ordinance.
We will provide information about changes on this website and on our social media channels.
All online services of the Würzburg University Library are available without restrictions. We recommend that all members and students of the university primarily use our wide range of e-books, e-journals and databases.
We are also there to answer your questions during the Corona crisis:
- contact form
- by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by telephone: +49 931 31-85906 (Mon - Fri: 09:00 - 16:00)
- WhatsApp inquiries to +49 931 31-85906 will also be answered within this time slot
- In order to supply the University with literature, the Main Library is open Mon - Fri 09:00 - 16:00 for borrowing media.
- Access is limited to a maximum number of people and is regulated by our staff.
- Wearing an FFP2 mask is compulsory for visitors to the library. In addition, mouth-to-nose covering must be worn on all university premises (buildings, traffic routes and open areas). Please observe markings and walkways and keep a distance of 2 m from other people.
- Excluded from entering the library are persons showing symptoms indicative of a COVID-19 disease such as cough, cold, sore throat, fever (≥ 38.0°C), loss of smell and taste.
- Please prepare your media list with shelfmarks before your visit. Please fetch the required media from the reading rooms yourself.
- Multifunctional copiers and Book2net scanning stations can be used in self-service (see under "Copiers, printers and scanners").
- Media from the stacks and interlibrary loan that can only be used in the reading room will be available again from 16.03.2021. For use, you will receive a reading room place for a maximum of 2 hours.
- From 16.03.2021, places to study and workrooms for 1 person can be used after prior booking (see under "Learning workplaces").
- You may take jackets and bags into the reading rooms. From 16.03.2021, the locker system and toilets will be open again.
- Please limit your stay for borrowing and copying, printing or scanning to a maximum of 30 minutes.
- To return media, please use the returns box in front of the Main Library (next to the entrance towards the canteen).
Health protection remains a priority! Please help us with consideration and flexibility so that we can continue to offer this lending service as well as the use on site!
In justified and absolutely necessary cases, the special collections (Franconian regional studies, Manuscripts and Old Printed Books, other special holdings and media) can be used from 16.03.2021 in the Special Collections Reading Room in accordance with the security concept for research work at the University of Würzburg of 20 October 2020 .
How do you proceed?
For absolutely necessary cases, the University Library offers a limited contingent of workstations in the Special Collections Reading Room from Monday to Friday, which can be reserved for a specific time slot by prior arrangement. Please contact the following address to make an appointment, stating the reasons for your research request and the media required: email@example.com
What do I need to consider?
The number of workstations that can be reserved is limited and the use must comply with the requirements of the security concept for research work at the University of Würzburg as well as the current staffing and organisational possibilities of the University Library.
Therefore, please consider the following points:
- Contact us early in order to make an appointment or to cancel agreed appointments.
- Bring the form you submitted with the appointment confirmation, as well as your library card.
- The use of workstations is limited to a maximum of 2 hours per appointment.
- The required media will be made available at the workstation reserved for you. At the end of your appointment you have to put the used media back on the book trolley.
- You are obliged to wear a FFP mask in the rooms of the University Library during your entire visit.
- Please store your jackets and bags (including laptop bags) in the cloakroom and the lockers in the entrance area of the Main Library.
To supply the university with literature, some departmental libraries are open for lending media. For further information, please refer to the websites of the departmental libraries.
Please note that not all libraries of the university are managed directly by the UB and that you would have to contact individual departments, institutes and other institutions. You can find an overview at https://www.bibliothek.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/departmental-libraries/overview-of-departmental-libraries/ .
You can fetch borrowable media from the open access holdings of the Main Library yourself from the reading rooms to borrow them.
You can reserve media in the UB catalogue and order them from the stacks. Interlibrary loans are also possible. You can collect your ordered media from the circulation desk on the ground floor.
Media from our stacks or from interlibrary loans, which can only be used in the reading rooms, can be ordered in the library catalogue again from 16.03.2021 and collected at the circulation desk. We will then assign you a reading room place, which will be available for you for 2 hours.
Alternatively, you can use our repro and digitisation services within the framework of copyright restrictions. Further information for university members can be found under "Services for academics" and "Services for students"
Please extend the loan periods of your borrowed media - as usual - even in the UB catalogue.
Extension service for JMU students
For students of the University of Wuerzburg who are currently preparing for an exam or writing a thesis, we offer the following service:
If you have already exhausted the renewal options of your media borrowed from the holdings of the Main Library or the Law Textbook Collection, you can request further renewal from our circulation desk by e-mail 5 days before the loan period expires: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will then renew your media one more time. However, this is not possible for reserved media and media from the interlibrary loan.
What happens after the loan period has expired?
Media whose loan period has expired should be returned as soon as possible (see "Return of borrowed media").
We will demand the return of media with an expired loan period at a charge. We send these requests for media return by letter post to the postal address stored in your library account. You can find this address in your library account under: MY LIBRARY ACCOUNT / USER DATA / address data.
Please check if these data are still up-to-date. Students of the University of Würzburg change their address to WueStudy themselves. All others please report address changes in writing to the circulation desk of the UB: email@example.com
Media borrowed in the Main Library or the departmental libraries can be returned around the clock via the returns box of the Main Library (to the right of the entrance in the direction of the canteen).
Please send returns by post to: Universitätsbibliothek, Leihstelle, Am Hubland, 97074 Würzburg. (Note: The date of receipt by us is decisive for the timely return of the item).
From 16.03.2021, the learning workstations in the reading rooms of the Main Library will again have limited use. The places are numbered and must be booked online in advance. After booking, you will receive a seat ticket by e-mail, which you should print out or bring with you on your smartphone to the booked date.
You can book one learning workstation per day (Mon-Fri) for the period 09:00 - 12:00 or 13:00 - 16:00. These learning workstations are primarily intended for students of the University of Würzburg; however, a limited contingent is open to all library users.
Students of the University of Würzburg can book the workrooms on the 1st and 2nd floor of the Main Library again from 16.03.2021: One workroom can be reserved per day (Mon-Fri) from 09:00 to 16:00. Booking is possible 3 days in advance. Use is limited to 1 person per room.
The Departmental Library for Law again allows limited use of study workstations. Details can be found on the departmental library's website.
As of 16.03.2021, individual computer workstations in the UB workroom on the ground floor of the Main Library are open again for use. These workstations are exclusively for the use of the licensed electronic resources (e-books, e-journals, databases) of the UB.
Internet research and the use of user software (e.g. word processing or statistics programs) cannot be permitted at the computer workstations due to the limited supply.
Per week (Mon-Fri) you can reserve twice time contingents (09:00-11:00, 11:30-13:30, 14:00-16:00 or 16:30-18:30) To arrange an appointment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or +49 931 31-85906 - by phone or WhatsApp (Mon-Fri 09:00 - 19:00 h), stating your name, your University Library number and your phone number.
A disinfectant dispenser is available on site to disinfect your hands before and after using the equipment.
The computer workstations in the departmental libraries are currently not accessible.
Interested people from the city and region and students of the FHWS, who use a computer workstation in the UB for the first time since July 20, 2020, must first activate their Internet access.
Expanded range of e-media:
Some publishers are currently making unlicensed content temporarily accessible. We have compiled some offers for you on a separate page. This list is updated on a regular basis.
Use of the licensed offers:
The range of licensed e-media (e-books, e-journals, databases) continues to be available to members of the University of Würzburg around the clock, regardless of location. Please log into the university network from home. Since there are currently bottlenecks with the VPN server, please use EZProxy!
From 10.03.2021 you can use the multifunctional copiers (for copying, printing and scanning) and the Book2net scanning stations (for quick scanning of books and journals) of the Main Library in self-service again. You need a USB stick to save scans and to print them out.
Use of the equipment is limited to a maximum of 30 minutes. A disinfectant dispenser is available on site to disinfect your hands before and after use.
The copiers, printers and scanners in some of our departmental libraries are also available for use again.
Unfortunately, the EC recharger in the Main Library is currently not accessible due to construction work. The nearest possibility to top up your chip card balance is in the Mensateria Campus Hubland Nord.
Until further notice, a delivery is only possible by post or internal mail. Please send your copies to:
Emergency supply service
University academics can still order articles from Elsevier-Verlag via the free-of-charge service for Elsevier journals. The interlibrary loan has been running again since 12.05.2020.
Delivery and collection service
The delivery and pick-up service for academics with a work address at Hubland North or outside the Hubland campus is offered again by the UB..
Digitisation of research-relevant literature for JMU scientists
To be able to provide the JMU Würzburg researchers in cases of compelling necessity with the literature they need, the University Library of Würzburg now offers, within the limits of their personnel and organisational possibilities, an extended digital delivery via the Electronic reserve collections of the Library Digitisation Lab.
How do you proceed?
- Check the catalogue of the University Library to see if the desired titles are available in the holdings of the Main Library (Zentralbibliothek) or a departmental library (Teilbibliothek).
- If you want to order digitized material, please use the form for the Electronic reserve collections and enter "Subject: Research-related literature" in the comments field. The team of the Library Digitisation Lab will check your order and deliver it to you promptly via download link.
What do I need to consider?
Despite the current exceptional situation the digital delivery of literature is subject to valid copyright law. Within the framework of § 60c UrhG libraries can make up to 75% of works not out-of-print available on behalf of researchers for the purpose of non-commercial research. Therefore, please make sure that the "Subject: Research-related literature" is entered in the comment field of the ESA order.
For articles in specialist journals and out-of-print titles, up to 100% of the work can be made available. A complete delivery of articles from newspapers and public publications is not possible.
Please limit your orders to urgently needed titles and parts of works, as the personnel and technical possibilities are limited and other researchers should also be able to obtain literature in solidarity. Therefore please make sure that you specify the required pages when ordering ESA!
Expansion of the electronic reserve collections (ESA) for JMU students
To be able to provide the students of JMU Würzburg in cases of compelling necessity with the literature for their scientific work, the University Library of Würzburg now offers, within the limits of her personnel and organisational possibilities, extended electronic reserve collections. Students can therefore also currently send their literature requirements to the Digitization Lab of the University Library.
How do you proceed?
- Check the catalogue of the University Library to see if the desired titles are available in the holdings of the Library and whether digital copies of the required works (e.g. e-books, online access to newspapers, journal articles or anthologies) are not already available.
- To order digital copies, please send an e-mail to the following contact: email@example.com
To be able to process your request, we need the following information in your e-mail:
- Please enter as subject: Extended electronic reserve collections - Literature requirements for own scientific work
- In the text:
- Your name, matriculation and library number
- The name of the researcher supervising the work or the seminar
- Bibliographic information (author, title, page number) and shelf number of the required work (e.g. 20/NB ...)
Please make sure that you indicate the required pages, as we can only provide you with a maximum of 75% of a work for personal use for copyright reasons!
Due to the staffing possibilities of the Digitisation Centre, a maximum of 2 titles can be requested per person!
The team of the Digitisation Lab will check your order and contact you promptly.
What do I need to consider?
Despite the current exceptional situation, the digital provision of literature is subject to the valid copyright law. Within the framework of § 60c UrhG, libraries can make up to 75% of works not out-of-print available on behalf of students exclusively for their own academic work (e.g. seminar papers, bachelor's and master's theses). In the case of articles in specialist journals and out-of-print titles, up to 100% may be made available. A complete provision of articles from newspapers and public publications is not possible.
Please limit your orders to urgently needed titles and parts of works, since the personnel and technical possibilities are limited and other students should also be able to obtain literature in solidarity. Therefore, please make sure that you specify the required pages when ordering.
Book shipment by mail
In justified individual cases, students at the University of Würzburg have the option of having books sent to them by post by the Würzburg University Library. However, you should only use this option if you are unable to collect the books from the Main Library yourself and the literature requirement cannot be covered by the extended range of the electronic semester apparatus.
What do I need to consider?
Please note that sending the books by post can take longer than providing them digitally and that this offer is only valid within Germany.
The costs for shipping (postage and packaging) will be covered by the University of Würzburg.
If books are damaged or lost, the purchaser is liable for their replacement.
How do you proceed?
If necessary, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University Library's website and social media channels provide information on current developments.
Questions are answered by the University Library's information desk by e-mail (email@example.com) or by phone on 0931/31-85906 (Mon - Fri 09:00 - 16:00). WhatsApp inquiries will also be answered within this time slot.